Frequently Asked Questions
RESIDENTIAL POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
All occupants 18 and over are required to apply. To apply, please visit our rental tab located on our website and click on 'Electronic Application' to start the screening process. We recommend reviewing our Rental Criteria noted on this page prior to applying.
NRB Property Management, LLC does not accept comprehensive reusable tenant screening reports as defined by and pursuant to RCW 59.18.257.
January 1, 2020, the tenant screening report fee will be increased to the following:
- The electronic tenant application will be increased to $45.00.
- The paper application (found in office) will be increased to $45.00 with a $15.00 Data Entry Fee.
Unincorporated Pierce County $53.50
Dupont Historical $84.50
University Place $57.00
Port Orchard $75.50
City of Orting $47.00
Residential Policies and Procedures
- A credit/reference check must be completed on each adult (18 or older) moving into the dwelling (this includes roommates). This cost is $45.00 per application. Applicants’ verifiable income (combined) must be at least THREE (3) TIMES the rental amount of the unit (Gross) or TWO and ONE HALF the rental amount of the unit (Net).
- All applicants (including roommates and co-signers) 18 or older are required to apply. All applicants who are employed are required to provide proof of verifiable income upon our request. The following documents may be requested upon applying:
- Two most recent pay stubs if you are a W-2 Employee.
- W-2 or Federal Tax Filing up to 2 years (or more depending on the circumstances).
- A copy of your most recent LES if Military.
- Tax Returns for the last 2 years (Stamped or Signed) if you are self-employed.
- A copy of each occupant’s government issued photo I.D. that is 18 or older. * Other: Specified by the Leasing Agent.
- Vehicle and/or motorcycle information is required and will be collected during the screening process. We will need to know the year, make, model, license plate information, and color of each vehicle or motorcycle that will be at the rental.
- Co-Signer Requirements:
- Must be a resident of Washington State.
- Income must be able to cover the cost of the co-signers creditors, rent, mortgage, etc.
- Additional Income requirements provided by the Leasing Agent.
- Both the Co-Signer and the Applicant are required to meet our background check.
- Both the Co-Signer and the Applicant are required to meet our landlord verification.
- Both the Co-Signer and the Applicant are required to meet our credit check. * Income verification documentation is required.
A Co-Signer is legally responsible, along with the applicant, for all rent, utilities, damages, etc. associated with the rental property. The Co-Signer and Applicant will sign the lease and a CoSigner agreement if approved.
- Restricted Breed List: If you are applying and have a dog as a pet, please review our restricted breed list at the bottom of the FAQ page along with the House Bill 1026 that may apply to you.
- Applying as a Pre-Approval: Due to our high volume of preapproval applications we receive, we ask those who apply to check our website consistently. Properties are added and deleted on a consistent basis. Although NRB tries to accommodate all preapprovals, we cannot be responsible for contacting you as properties become available. The applicant is responsible for contacting NRB once they find a home that fits their rental criteria.
- The owner of the property has the right to deny any application. Prior to approving each application against property, we must obtain owner approval. If you are not approved you may be eligible for one of our other rentals, this is based on the screening report results and reason for denial.
- Alliance2020 is the consumer reporting agency who will be compiling your consumer report. You have the right to obtain a free copy of your consumer report in the event of a denial or adverse action and to dispute the accuracy of the information appearing in the consumer report. All inquiries may be directed to:
P.O. Box 4248
Renton, WA 98057
Phone: 425.271.8065 / 800.289.8065
Fax: 425.227.9246 / 800.289.9246
Each applicants screening report will be reviewed for two types of adverse information; negatives and terminals. Three or more reported negatives without acceptable extenuating circumstances (job loss, medical problems, etc.) may result in denial. One or more terminals without acceptable reasons may also result in denial.
- Two credit accounts that have been 30 days or more late in the past three years.
- The credit account (or more) that has been 60 days or more late in the past three years.
- One credit account (or more) that has been 90 days or more late in the past three years.
- One credit account (or more) that has been 120 days or more late in the past three years.
- Two or more credit accounts that have been placed in a collection in the past three years.
- Any credit account charge off, judgment, discharged Chapter 11 or 13 Bankruptcy, vehicle repossession, lien or any unpaid civil judgment in the last seven years.
- A rental reference that includes 1 or more late payments or NSF checks.
- Any instance of a Security Deposit or Cleaning and Damage Deposit not returned.
- Reported unauthorized roommates or pets occupying a unit rented by the Applicant.
- An instance of improper (or lack of) notice to former Landlord or lease broken by the applicant.
- Employment which is temporary or short-term employment (Less than 2 years).
- Owing to a past utility company, a balance must be zero and receipt is required to be provided.
- Found unlawfully smoking in or around the residence.
- Applicant has an insufficient income after budgeting against the creditors they are paying, rent, utilities, etc.
- Applicants income cannot be verified. We do not accept cash or "under the counter" jobs as a sufficient source of income as it cannot be verified.
- An applicant or multiple applicants have no rental history. Please contact our office prior to applying and ask for the leasing manager.
- The applicant provided false information.
- An OPEN Bankruptcy (within the first year, after the first year it’s a case-by-case basis) – Must be discharged with no delinquent payments or balance owing.
- An open or unpaid collection placed by a Landlord or Property Management Company.
- A negative rental reference.
- An eviction or Unlawful Detainer action.
- A current 3 Day or 10 Day Notice.
- Income level not sufficient to qualify. With owner approval, an Authorized Tenant Addendum may be added to the lease agreement for co-applicants.
- A conviction for selling drugs or possession with intent to sell.
- A conviction for possession of a controlled substance or drug paraphernalia.
- Criminal conviction involving theft, burglary, robbery, violence or other serious offense as described in RCW 9.41.010.
- A conviction for contributing to the delinquency of a minor.
- If you or anyone in the household is a registered sex offender.
- A history of domestic violence, disruptive, malicious or violent behavior.
- False or misleading information on the written application.
- Omission of material fact on the written application.
- A total of $2,000.00 or more in unpaid collections in the past three years.
- A history of living or housekeeping habits that could pose a direct threat to the health and safety of others.
PLEASE NOTE: If any of the above applies to you please give our leasing team a call at the office (253) 537-6500 prior to submitting your application.
Upon notification of your acceptance as a tenant, you will have (48) hours to deliver your nonrefundable holding fee, in the form of a cashier’s check or money order. This non-refundable fee will convert to your security deposit upon lease signing. We require all move-in funds to be paid by cashier check or money order.
*Extension of time are provided on a case-by-case basis. *Once approved your application will be good for 90 days.
If you are applying with a Dog or Domestic Cat please provide a copy of each animal’s Rabies Certificate, Licensing Information, and a picture of each animal. Additional information may be requested upon applying.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we cannot provide an estimated completion date for the screening process. Our staff works extremely hard to complete and provide updates as quickly as possible.
Service Animals: This section refers to all who have Service Animals, Therapy Animals, Emotional Support Animals, and Companion Animals. Any animal that is not considered a pet to the occupants. An animal that serves an occupant for their wellbeing.
Approval Process: Permission to keep a service animal at the dwelling will require a signed note from a medical professional or other qualified third party, on letter head, requesting a reasonable accommodation. Medical Note will be verified by NRB’s Leasing Department. Online certificates will not be accepted. Service Animals will be permitted if approval is granted by NRB Property Management. Approval does not extend to any other animal. Permission to keep a service animal is restricted to the particular animal described at time of applying and/or requested during time of occupancy.
- If tenant fails to provide a note from a medical professional or other qualified third party, the animal may be deemed as a pet and subject to pet responsibilities. NRB Property Management reserves the right to deny a service animal if documentation is falsified or if it has a report or warning against it from a law enforcement or other negative record.
Tenant Responsibility: Tenants are required to keep their Service Animal on a leash when walking, having in front of house (if the front yard is not fully fenced) or having in the back yard of a property that is partial or not fenced. Under no circumstances should the service animal be left unattended in a yard that is not fenced or chained/tied to any object.
- Tenants are not permitted to adopt/replace another service animal without NRB Authorization. If adoption is needed NRB will require the Breed, Age and Weight of the animal you seek to adopt as well as a current note on letterhead from a medical professional or qualified third party.
Pets: Refers to a domestic or tamed animal.
Animals are only allowed with prior approval of the owner and NRB Property Management. There is a minimum of $250.00 non-refundable pet fee for each pet and a minimum of $25.00 pet rent per pet (per month). All animals are subject to approval.
Live Stock: Animals such as Pigs, Horses, Cows, Rabbits, etc. must be on rural (Countryside) properties and have written permission from NRB Property Management. All livestock must be kept outside and in adequate cages or fences. No Indoor livestock will be permitted.
Not Permitted: NRB Property Management does not permit Reptiles (Snakes, Frogs, Turtles), Rodents(Mice, Ferrets, Hamsters, Guinea Pigs), Birds (Chickens, Parakeets, Parrots), Insects (Bee’s, Ants, Etc.) into the properties. 50 Gallon Fish Tanks or Larger will not be permitted. Salt Water Fish is approved by written permission only. No Indoor Rabbits.
Restricted Breed List (DOGS): Please review our restricted breed list below under the FAQ page.
Tenant Responsibility: You will be held responsible for ALL pet damage caused in your rental unit. This includes, but is not limited to full carpet replacement, trim replacement, painting, yard and all other damages caused by your pet(s).
Death/Adoption of a Pet: If a pet passes away, the tenant is required to notify the office so that we may update your account accordingly. Tenants are not permitted to adopt/replace their pet(s) without NRB permission. Another pet fee may apply if approval for adoption is accepted. For pet replacement or adoption requests please have the following information ready: Breed, Age, and Weight of the next pet you are seeking to get. This information will need to be reviewed by NRB and the owner of the property prior to seeking adoption.
Unauthorized Pet: If found that tenants have an unauthorized pet in the home or not the same pet as what was agreed on during the time of move-in, tenants can be faced with a large fine up to $2,000 or more and a 10-day notice to comply. Please review your lease agreement, under pets, for further information on fines and requirements.
Service animals do not fall under the category of “pets.”
HOUSE BILL 1026
Effective January 01, 2020.
(a) The city or county has established and maintains a reasonable process for exempting any dog from breed-based regulations or a breed ban if the dog passes the American kennel club canine good citizen test or a reasonably equivalent canine behavioral test as determined by the city or county;
(b) Dogs that pass the American kennel club canine good citizen test or a reasonably equivalent canine behavioral test are exempt from breed-based regulations for a period of at least two years;
(c) Dogs that pass the American kennel club canine good citizen test or a reasonably equivalent canine behavioral test are given the opportunity to retest to maintain their exemption from breed-based regulations; and
(d) Dogs that fail the American kennel club canine good citizen test or a reasonably equivalent canine behavioral test are given the opportunity to retest within a reasonable period of time, as determined by the city or county.
(1) For more information on the House Bill 1026 please click on the following direct link
(2) For more information on getting your dog tested for the canine good citizen test please visit the AKC website at the following direct link
If you have any questions please contact Angel at angel[at]nrbproperties[dot]net.
List of Restricted Breeds:
Restricted Reptiles include, but not limited to:
Restricted Rodents include, but not limited to:
Restricted Birds include, but not limited to:
Restricted Insects include, but not limited to:
Written permission needed for the following: